The management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation has retired about 40 group general managers and general managers at the oil firm.
It was gathered on Thursday in Abuja that the affected GGMs and GMs were asked to leave the employ of the oil firm on Wednesday.
According to reports, the reorganisation also touched other very senior positions at the headquarters of the national oil firm, as well as in some of its subsidiaries.
A source from the oil firm said “The one that is raising concern at the corporation is that most or all the top management staff from M-3 to M-4 who are due for retirement within a year were asked to leave yesterday (Wednesday).”
It was gathered that group general managers were on M-3, while general managers were categorised on M-4.
The GGMs, who operate from the corporate headquarters are equivalent to managing directors of subsidiaries of the corporation, while the GMs, who work at the subsidiaries, are equivalent to executive directors.
The source said, “As at this week, the corporation witnessed a massive shakeup. The management had to readjust some prominent positions.
“One of such is the movement of a top chief operating officer from a position that he only assumed last year to another position of COO that is not comparable to his former office.”
This, according to sources, was not welcomed by some persons in the corporation, especially those from the region where the affected COO hailed from.
“Another issue is that in the corporation, we have two categories of subsidiaries, the ones considered as redundant and the ones considered as grade A subsidiaries, such as NAPIMS, NPDC, shipping, NNPC Trading, PPMC,” a source said.
The source further stated that “under the present dispensation, one would have expected some form of balancing in terms of postings to these subsidiaries. But as it is right now, most of the positions in these subsidiaries are headed by people from one region of the country.”
When contacted, the acting spokesperson of the corporation, Samson Makoji, did not confirm any of the development, but insisted that the corporation would issue a statement if there was need for such.
“If we doing something, we will officially announce it. So let’s just leave it at that,” he stated.
(PUNCH)