The Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria has stated that non-travelling passengers will not be allowed into the Airport Terminal Buildings ahead of resumption of commercial flights in the country.
The authority also advised that persons coming to pick up arriving passengers to remain in their cars until travelers exit airports’ entrances.
The Authority made this known on Wednesday as part of the new protocols for the restart of flights amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Announcing via Twitter, it wrote, “Non-travelling passengers will not be allowed into the Airport Terminal Buildings. People coming to pick up arriving passengers are advised to remain in their cars until passengers exit the gate. Stay safe.”
FAAN also urged travelers to wear face masks, maintain two metres distance and arrive at airports at least three hours before flights to ensure proper checks.
The Federal Government had earlier said that the civil aviation authority will determine the resumption of domestic flights in the country.
The National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Sani Aliyu, had on June 1 said that “the aviation industry is requested to start developing protocols to allow for domestic flights to resume anytime from the 21st of June, upwards.
However, while giving an update last week, Aliyu said the PTF was yet to receive any update from the aviation sector on its preparedness to restart commercial flight operations.
Nigeria’s airports and airspace were shut in March by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), as part of efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
But the President’s directive allowed the operation of essential flights including those for medical and evacuation purposes, amongst others.